Are you selling or buying a home in McHenry or Kane County? One of the first and most important things to do is find the right Realtor to work with. We’ve listed the following tips on how to find the real estate professional that’s the best match for you.
Do your homework
You can search for a Realtor from various sources, including referrals, the internet, or local associations. Referrals are an ideal source, as you’ll be able to get firsthand accounts on what to expect from working with a particular Realtor. Referrals can come from friends or other professionals in the real estate industry, such as a lawyer or a banker, who have previously worked with an agent. If you find a prospective agent from any other source, try to talk to the Realtor’s clients to get an idea on how they work and conduct business.
Check prospective Realtors’ websites and listings
More than 90% of home searches today start on the internet so it’s important for your Realtor to have a strong web presence. A well-designed and updated website is a good indicator of a Realtor’s online capabilities and their commitment to providing quality and efficient service.
Look at a Realtor’s experience, track record, and network
This does not necessarily mean the Realtor should have been in business for a long time, although this is certainly an advantage. What’s more important is how well the Realtor knows the area and the particular market segment where you want to buy or sell. Look into the agent’s past and present listings to see if the properties they’ve worked or are working on are similar to what you want to buy or sell.
Additionally, check the Realtor’s affiliations and networks. These are very important in buying or selling real estate, particularly for properties that are off market.
Ask the right questions
It’s fine to interview a few Realtors to find the one you’re most comfortable with. Some questions to ask are:
- How many clients are they working with? You’d want to work with someone whose services are in demand but at the same time is not too busy to give you the attention you need.
- What kind of experience do they have on the type of property and the area you’re interested in?
- How is the market doing? How does the agent interpret market stats and what do they think about your prospects in buying or selling? A reliable Realtor is one who can back their advice with data and who can be versatile in working with different market conditions.
- Does the agent work on their own or has a staff that can help them with day-to-day things? Are they working for a brokerage or do they have their own firm? How would the flow of communication between you and the Realtor go?
- How will the Realtor be compensated? How much commission fee do they charge? Keep in mind that a Realtor with the lowest commission fee is not necessarily the best choice. Find out what kind of assistance and services you can expect and weigh these against their fees. If a Realtor can help in various processes, such as prepping your home for sale or finding the right financing, they could be right choice even with a relatively higher commission fee.
Huntley Realty will be very happy to hear from you and answer any questions you might have about their services. Contact them here or call them at 847-669-4010.