Are you a new resident of Illinois? Here’s a handy guide that will tell you all about filing a change of address, updating your vehicle registration, applying for an Illinois driver’s license, and more.

Change of address

New residents can file a change of address at the Office of the Secretary of State (SOS) Driver Services Department and Vehicle Services Department.

Residents are required to update their address within ten days of an address change. Changing your address will update records associated with your driver’s license or ID card.

You can change your driver’s license address or ID records online, by mail, or in person. Here’s how:

  • Online – Visit the Illinois SOS website.
  • By mail – Write a letter that includes your name, previous and current address, IL driver’s license/ID card number, and send it to:
    • Driver Services Department
      2701 S. Dirksen Parkway
      Springfield, IL 62723

  • In person – Visit your local Secretary of State office. You can locate the nearest office by visiting this page.

Vehicle registration

New Illinois residents who are bringing a vehicle from out of state have a 30-day window to officially register it with the Secretary of State. You can find out more by visiting this page.

If you are registering a special vehicle such as a snowmobile, custom-built vehicle, all-terrain vehicle (ATV), or recreational vehicle (RV), each type has a different procedure for registration. Take a look at this guide to registering special vehicles in Illinois.

Voter registration

To update your Illinois voter registration address, complete Form SBE R-19 otherwise known as a Voter Registration Application.

Once you have accomplished the form, submit it to your local Illinois Secretary of State office, which will forward your application. You can also submit it personally or mail it to an Illinois County Clerk or Board of Election Commissioners’ office.

Take note that in order to be eligible to vote, you need to be a resident within the voting precinct for at least 30 days before the next election.

For more information about voter registration, take a look at this page.

Getting an Illinois driver’s license

If you’re from out of state, your non-Illinois license is eligible for up to 90 days upon moving.

To apply for an Illinois driver’s license, drop by your local Secretary of State Driver Services Facility. You’ll need to present the following requirements:

  • Your out-of-state license
  • Valid IDs
  • Payment for new driver’s license fees

In addition, you are required to undergo written and vision exams to get your license. The Illinois Secretary of State typically does not require a driving test for new Illinois residents with valid driver licenses from out of state, although agents reserve the right to decide whether or not you must take one.

Non-commercial Illinois driver licenses are:

  • Class D license – The most common type of license in the state. This allows you to operate passenger vehicles or trucks.
  • Restricted local driver license – This type is issued to residents living in towns with small populations, who only need to drive to local areas such as the grocery store.